Don’t do what I have done…

Edible glitter is, admittedly, awesome.  And it makes last-minute birthday cakes look fabulous with very little effort.  But it isn’t cheap, and should not be wasted.

So imagine, O my readers, that you are a rather sleep-deprived (and thus silly) Catherine who has just spilled a teaspoon or so edible glitter on the kitchen bench.

Do you…

a) Attempt to spoon it back into the container? (hint: this doesn’t work)

b) Clean it up?

c) Decide that it would be simply wasteful to just clean it up, and instead start finger-painting with it, using it as glittery eyeshadow and indian warpaint and hair glitter and trying to convince your husband that he would look extremely chic with green glitter in his hair and on his nose?

If you answered (c) to this question, congratulations! You have now strewn glitter all over yourself (clothes turn out to be no protection at all), every surface in the house, and the cat.  Though let me tell you, black fur looks just fabulous with tiny sparks of green glitter catching the light.

There’s only one drawback to this amazing festival of glitter.

It really is *extremely* scratchy.

I think I need a shower.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

11 comments for “Don’t do what I have done…

  1. Christine
    September 28, 2011 at 5:02 am

    Your readers request photos! 🙂

    • September 28, 2011 at 2:57 pm

      My readers will have to simply content themselves with the fact that everyone I’ve seen today has gone “Ooh! You’re all glittery!”.

      (there will be photos of the cake later)

  2. Megan
    September 28, 2011 at 5:48 pm

    I’m on your side – Andrew would look very handsome with green glitter in his hair:)

  3. Jacki
    September 28, 2011 at 10:11 pm

    I’m curious – is it actually edible or just NON-TOXIC? There’s been a fair bit of discussion on one of my baking communities and all the USians are saying there’s no such thing as edible glitter only non-toxic glitter which, while not poisonous, is still not meant to be eaten. So if it actually states edible on the packet can you tell me where to get some, please?

    • September 28, 2011 at 10:31 pm

      I think it may be non-toxic – I had a very long conversation with the chap at the cake decorating shop about which it was, and the view seemed to be that it was fine to eat things that had glitter on them (though eating it from the jar might not be a good plan), but I think it goes through rather then being digested. Since a very little goes a long way (says she who is covered in the stuff which *will not* wash off), I’m happy sprinkling small amounts onto things that will be eaten.

      (but now you have me rather worried – I’ll have to do a bit more checking)

      • September 28, 2011 at 10:40 pm

        OK, I’ve found this page, which seems to have glitters that are properly edible. And it’s an Australian site, which is promising. I shall have to invest in this for future baking madness…

  4. 5-tails
    September 30, 2011 at 6:48 am

    A teaspoon doesn’t sound like a lot… except when it’s glitter!

    So you know, there were a variety of edible (as opposed to non-toxic) glitters available at the cake-decorating shop on Flinders Lane in the CBD – . Also available there was an entertaining lecture on the differences between edible and non-toxic glitters, as I recall. *grin*

    I have a brief LJ post on the subject, somewhere back in 2007…

    • September 30, 2011 at 11:26 am

      Exactly so.

      How come you got the entertaining lecture? I didn’t, even though I asked when I bought the glitter whether it was edible. They must have been having a bad day that day, or something.

      Ah well. The glitters I have now really are edible, and clearly the non-toxic ones have failed to damage anyone I’ve fed them to in the quantities I’ve used, so no harm done. I do wish I’d known earlier. Methinks a post on this subject may be required…

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.